Bajan History

Bajan (Barbadian) history.

Old Warri warriors St. Peter Barbados

The game of Warri

“Warri is a game with several different names, including wari (or owari), wao, awèlè, awela, ayo, aji, awari, oware and ouri. This game is of the pit-and-pebble family, which originated in Ancient Egypt some 3,500 years ago, making it one of the oldest games in the world. The word “warri” means houses and this game …

The game of Warri Read More »

CNS Lady Drake

CNS Lady Drake 1928 – 1942

This is the story of CNS Lady Drake one of five Lady Boats that plied the trade routes between Canada and the West Indies from 1928 to 1942 when she was sunk by a torpedo from U-106 about 140km north of Bermuda. Six crew members and six passengers were lost. The master, one hundred and …

CNS Lady Drake 1928 – 1942 Read More »

Major Teddy Goddard a Bajan policeman from below the cliff

Major Teddy Goddard – a Bajan policeman from below the cliff

Major Teddy Goddard (Theodore Percival Alleyne Goddard) was born ‘below the cliff’ in Clifton Hall Woods, Barbados in 1883. Children born into poor white families had little prospect of bettering their position. Teddy Goddard, had little idea when he enlisted in the army in 1903 for three years that he would be transported to the …

Major Teddy Goddard – a Bajan policeman from below the cliff Read More »

Barbados Island life photographs and stories by Craig Burleigh

Barbados Island Life

Craig Burleigh is an American born, Bajan bred, San Francisco Bay Area based professional photographer. He grew up on Rockley Beach with sand between his toes from 1955 to 1965 and at Lamming’s St. Joseph and Edgecliff, St. John later on. Craig has been scanning his back-catalogue of Barbados photographs from the 1970s and is …

Barbados Island Life Read More »

Barbados Trailway Demo Stretch

The Barbados Trailways Project Part 2 – the beginning of the refurbishment

The Barbados Trailway will convert a portion of the disused trainline (which operated from 1881 to 1937) into a 16km paved multi-use trail from Valley Plantation to Consett Bay. It is a fiscally and socially responsible heritage tourism development project that can help to diversify and enhance our tourism product while also providing recreational spaces …

The Barbados Trailways Project Part 2 – the beginning of the refurbishment Read More »

The Medici Lion at Gun Hill Barbados

The Man Who Carved a Lion. The story of Henry John Wilkinson 1829 – 1911

For over 150 years a seven-foot-tall white Medici lion, carved from coral stone, has drawn locals and visitors to a hillside in St. George, Barbados.  Situated southeast and below the Gun Hill Signal Station, over-looking the beautiful St. George Valley, the lion has stood proudly since it was completed in 1868.  Since that time, it …

The Man Who Carved a Lion. The story of Henry John Wilkinson 1829 – 1911 Read More »

Removal of Lord Nelson Statue Bridgetown Barbados 2020

Barbados transitions to a Republic – the Republic of Barbados

On 30th November 2021, fifty-five years after independence from Britain, Barbados will transition from a Constitutional Monarchy to being a Parliamentary Republic – the Republic of Barbados. The Queen’s representative Governor-General Dame Sandra Mason, GCMG, DA, QC will become the first President of Barbados. Her role will be mostly ceremonial, much like her current role …

Barbados transitions to a Republic – the Republic of Barbados Read More »

Andromeda House location of a covert submarine tracking facility in Barbados

Andromeda Gardens – the location of a covert US Navy cold-war submarine tracking station in Barbados from 1954 to 1985/87

In addition to the US Navy NAVFAC Barbados at Harrison’s Point, St. Lucy which was operational from 1957 to 1979 there was another hush, hush and “covert” NAVFAC cold-war submarine tracking facility located in Barbados from 1954 to 1985/87. It was located within the workshop of Dr. Harry Bayley’s bay-house at Andromeda in St. Joseph. …

Andromeda Gardens – the location of a covert US Navy cold-war submarine tracking station in Barbados from 1954 to 1985/87 Read More »

Scroll to Top